Friday, February 25, 2011

Messy morning

If you live north of Boston and Worcester, it's just plain messy outside.  I have to admit that I expected the rain snow line to be a bit further north by this time.  I still expect this line to shift into Southern New Hampshire, just barely, but I expect it to happen.  It may not happen until the middle of the day now however.

This could impact how much snow accumulates in Northern MA and Southern NH by an inch or two.  When I left Hudson, NH this morning, there was an inch of heavy wet snow on the ground already.  At the rate that the snow is falling, it won't take long to tack on a couple more inches.  Over the next couple of hours, as I write this it is 8:20 AM, the snow will start to gradually mix in with rain or sleet.  This transition will happen from south to north, making it as far as Nashua, NH by 1 PM or so.  I think areas north of Nashua now will stay mainly snow and probably will see a total of 3 to 6" as opposed to the 1 to 3" I forecasted for yesterday.

No change to the forecast north and west of Manchester.  Still expecting all snow here and lots of it.  6-12" from Manchester northward to the White and Green Mountains.  Far Northern NH and into Northern Maine the snow totals will drop off quickly as the extent of the preciptation shield won't quite reach the US/Canada Border, not with any significant intensity at least.

That's all for now, stay safe.  I'll have another update later today with a look at this weekend at the start of next week.

-Jon K.

No comments:

Post a Comment