Tuesday, February 1, 2011

End of Round 1

The first round of the snow onslaught is just about complete.  There will still be periodic snow showers/squalls/flurries into the early evening, especially in Central and Eastern Massachusetts.

The second system is going full force right now.  This is an image I grabbed from the National Weather Service earlier today:


The pink color is Winter Storms Warnings.  They stretch from Eastern Maine all the way to Southwestern New Mexico.  The red are Blizzard Warnings, Detroit to Oklahoma City.  This storm is a monster.  Since grabbing this image, they have added some Ice Storm Warnings north of New York City and in Southern Indiana.  Oh, I almost forgot about the thunderstorms associated with this.  Tornado watches are up along the Gulf Coast.

So back to what happened today.  My forecast was a bit on the high side.  Most places will likely come in around 6 inches.  There are a few spots that will end up near 8 or 9 inches, mainly in Central Massachusetts.  4-8 would have been a better forecast.  I decided to stick with the numbers I had in my head last night.  Too stubborn I guess to lower my forecast.  :-)

Here are the latest observations from Southern New England:  Southern New England Snow totals
Not many reports in so far for Central and Northern New Hampshire yet.

Anyway, we'll have a bit of a break this evening and overnight before the snow picks up again after midnight.  It looks like its going to arrive a bit earlier than I first thought.  Instead of coming around 5 or 6 AM, its probably going to be closer to 3 or 4 AM.  The heaviest of the snow will likely be coming down toward the end of the morning commute into the early afternoon.  Snow will continue right into the evening hours before tapering off near midnight, lasting a bit longer in the higher terrain in Central and Northern New Hampshire.

Not going to change my forecast totals at this time.  I'm fairly confident based on the amount of liquid all the guidance models are showing along with where the rain/snow line will set up.

Thanks for reading!

-Jon K.

No comments:

Post a Comment