Sunday, February 24, 2013

Storm progress

So that lack of confidence in my forecast is paying off.  Warmer temperatures are hanging in a lot longer than I expected along the coast of Massachusetts.  This is going to result in much lower snow totals inside of I-95/MA-128.  Eventually colder air will take hold and the majority of the rain will transition to snow, but the snow will not live up to my forecast totals.  It looks like along the I-495 corridor into Central and Southern New Hampshire will see the highest snow totals.

Even those numbers will not be impressive.  I don't expect to see many reports of over 6" when this storm is over.  Here in Hudson, we have about 2" of heavy, wet snow.

The location that is going to have the most snow from this system is going to be in Maine.  It's been cold enough there from the beginning.  The snow will continue there for a good portion of the day.  I expect to see a few spots that top off around 10".  I didn't focus on this area too much because I don't have too many readers from this area.

Overnight last night and early this morning, areas around Concord had a prolonged period of moderate to heavy snow.  This put anywhere from 1-6" of snow down, most places received about 3-4".

Expect the rain/snow to continue through at least the early afternoon before gradually tapering off in Eastern MA and Southern NH. Central NH and Maine may continue to receive snow into the first half of the night before the storm begins to weaken and pull away.

I'll share some links tomorrow that show the final snow totals so I can show you how badly I forecasted this event!  :-)  I'm not afraid to admit I blew it.

Thanks for reading!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment