Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ok Mother Nature...we've had enough!

I saw something today that I really didn't expect..or want.  What is that you ask?

It would be the potential for 3, yes 3 more plowable snow events in the next 10 days.  Just as I thought the overall weather pattern was starting to calm down and flatten out, it appear a huge ridge of high pressure will build in the Eastern Pacific.  The location of this ridge will keep the storm track moving through the Northeastern United States.  Until this breaks down, we'll be staring down the barrel of the gun.

This doesn't bode well for many locations who have already broken or are near to breaking the all time snowfall records for the month of January.  Granted January is nearly over, but if we have a 2 or 3 more weeks like the last 4, season snowfall records may be broken by the end of February.

There is still a lot of uncertainty about the first storm we will see, but the timing of when it will arrive has been consistent.  Late Wednesday into Thursday.  This storm is going to affect a larger audience as well.  Stretching from the Central United States, through the Ohio Valley/Appalachians and then into the Northeastern.  As I mentioned in previous blogs, there will be a bit more warm air associated with this system, so I would expect to see some mixed precipitation in spots.  I also expect to see some news stories and video of cars sliding all over the place in the Mississippi Valley because of freezing rain in places.

We'll see how it all shakes out, but either way this system will have a big impact on a lot of people.  On the plus side, for skiers and snowboarders, the mountains of New England should actually see some snow out of this and from what I hear, they need it.  Most of the resorts have burned through their snow making budget for the season and it's barely half over.

Looking a bit futher out into the future, I do see 2 more storm chances, plowable storms to be more precise.  Sometime around the 5th/6th and then the 3rd system around the 8th/9th.

Until next time, thanks for reading!

-Jon K.

1 comment:

  1. That is good news for the ski areas!!! Hopefully there will be enough snow for me to stay home from work! Not such good news for my family in NJ. My mom was freaking out cause there is no room for all the snow they have. I hope they get some rain out of this one!!

    ReplyDelete