Thursday, January 27, 2011

More Storm Post-Mortem

I looked into the storm from last night a bit more this morning and I'm finding that my forecast may have been a bit more off than I first thought.  I also didn't realize just how bad New York City was hit by this storm.  See the image below:


Thanks to Dan F. for the link.(Image from the National Weather Service)

Those reds in there are 15-20 inches.  Not too many meteorologists were expecting to see that much snow in NYC from this storm.  If this extended down toward Philly, you would see more reds into NJ and Eastern PA.

Impressive.

The yellows that you see on the map above was where I was expecting to see 6-12, so my range was a little low.  I hope to implement a snowfall forecast graphic in the future.  There were a few places in Worcester County that got more than 15" that aren't represented well on this image.  The northern extent of the snow was a bit further to the north than I predicted as well.  The storm wrapped up nicely as it moved to the east of Long Island which pushed the snow further inland.

Ok, that's enough about this storm.  Feel free to ask any questions in the comments section below.

Thanks for reading!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment