Wednesday, January 26, 2011

4:30 PM Weather Update

Sitting here at work in Andover, MA and I see the snow is just starting to fall.  Looks like my forecast for timing is working out pretty well.  It started a little sooner than I expected south of here, but I would say I was pretty close.  Anyway, the snow will continue to ever so slowly move north as the second area of low pressure I mentioned in my early post approaches the Northeast.

The mid afternoon forecast models haven't changed much from where they were this morning.  They have hinted that the center of the second low pressure system will move a bit closer to the coast, which means the axis of heavier snow will also be a bit more toward the north and west.  I don't think I want to change my forecast #'s too much, but it looks like instead of the heaviest snow being Boston southward, it may be more centered over Boston with some higher amounts extending north of the city. The heaviest snow will likely staying inside of I-95/Rt. 128.  My snow ranges are going to stay the same.

Still looks like the snow will taper off before the morning commute on Thursday.  Lingering snow showers could be leftover as the storm pulls away.  Hopefully the plow crews will be be out during the night, making for a somewhat easier commute.  See below for the storm totals, not changed from earlier.

Inside I-95/Rt. 128 to Cape Cod Canal  8-12"  Areas in northern RI and Southeastern MA will likely be the closest to 12" with perhaps a few spots over 1 foot of snow

Outside of Rt. 128 north and west toward I-495 and into Worcester - 6-10"

Outside I-495 to near Nashua and North Central MA - 3-6"

North of Nashua to Concord - dusting to 3"  that dusting will be closer to Concord.

There is going to be pretty tight gradient where the snow cuts off.  The hardest thing to determine with this storm was where the northern extent of the snow would be.

Check for a possible update for hitting the sack tonight.

Thanks for reading!

-Jon K.

No comments:

Post a Comment